For this, let’s have a look at the chart above:
The direction we’re heading in is pretty clear, and industry experts tend to agree that online orders are expected to surpass offline orders sometime within a few years. The key takeaway is that we’re in the very early stages of a broad, secular shift to online/mobile ordering
The first thing to note is that the takeout and delivery market is itself a whopping $70 billion market. More importantly, of that $70 billion, only about $9 billion (roughly 13 percent) is online. Thus, in a world where almost everything is done either on the computer or through mobile apps, approximately 9 out of 10 individuals are still using the traditional method of picking up the phone to call in takeout and delivery orders.
5 Reasons to Offer Online & Mobile Ordering
If time is money, expedience is gold. That’s why the Lightspeed POS offers a treasure trove of opportunity for merchants looking to take advantage of the “order ahead” feature. Let’s look at the top five reasons to use this feature:
- It saves customers time. Let’s say you own a café. The order ahead feature allows patrons to place and pay for their orders in advance, essentially fast-tracking the purchase process. Imagine what a difference this can make – instead of arriving at the café, waiting in line, ordering a sandwich and then waiting for the sandwich, a customer can skip past all this simply by putting in an advance order. That means he or she can then simply come to the café, walk in, grab their sandwich and enjoy their lunch without any of the prerequisite waiting. If only every business offered this option!
- It lets customers make decisions on their own time, in their own space. No more rushing to make up one’s mind. This translates to happier customers who not only feel more confident with their choices, but happier with the environment in which they were able to make them. As you know, happy customers are repeat customers!
- It helps you as a business better allocate your time. You’re more able to predict the lunchtime rush when you receive your orders ahead of schedule, and be better prepared to react to the walk-ins as they come. By cutting down on the on-the-spot factor, the “order ahead” feature helps you and your employees more effectively plan your day and how you will structure the time within it. Additionally, many of these takeout orders are prepaid, meaning you get more business without disrupting the current state of your line or overall productivity of your restaurant.
- It offers secure payments. When customers order ahead on the Mobile app, their payment information is already in place to complete the transaction. On your end, that means a far more seamless deal as customers won’t even have to take out their wallet or share financial information once they get to your place of business, they simply pay using a login and password on their mobile devices. It’s strictly grab-and-go – good for them and beneficial to you.
- It appeals to tech-savvy consumers. With technology an indelible part of our society, it makes more and more sense that it should be applied not just to the complex things we do but something as simple as ordering a sandwich. Furthermore, customers who love tech get a chance to use their mobile devices to pay, a much preferable alternative to archaic cash or credit. Offer your customers a tech-savvy way to get their errands done and you’ll see them come back time and again.